Friday, February 8, 2013

My New and Improved Race Schedule! It's Even Color Coded!


Finally got my act together and formalized my race schedule for the year.  Red = already completed; Orange = registered; Yellow = not registered yet; Green = no need for formal registration.   
Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Workout Types(s): tempo run; treadmill climb (set treadmill at 15% incline and 4 mph)
Miles ran: 8 miles of temp; 2 miles of climb
Notes: My Morton’s neuroma bothered me a lot towards the end of my run, so I started climbing.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Workout Types(s): climbing; calisthenics
Floors climbed: A little over 500 floors
Notes: Easiest climb ever, especially because I was reading Robert Jordan.  I think I need to start wearing a weighted vest. 

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Workout Types(s): easy run; treadmill climb (set treadmill at 15% incline and 4.0 mph)
Miles ran: 7 miles of easy running; 2 miles of climbing
Notes: Feel like a climbing machine!

I have an official race schedule for 2013.  For those who were familiar with my previous schedule, you can see that I have upped it up a notch, thanks to my Grand Slam of Ultrarunning attempt.

This year has already changed me.  This is the first time in my life as a runner that I have a race plan!  And not just a race plan for a few months!  A race plan for the *entire* year!  

In fact, my ultra career began because I was so used to making last minute decisions about races.  I wanted to run the Philadelphia Marathon for my birthday, but by the time I got around to actually signing up, it was sold out, so I ended up running the Knickerbocker 60K instead.  And this is a bit embarrassing, but only two summers ago, a few days before my first 100 miler, I had to email the race director of the Summer Beast of Burden to beg him to let me in.  I think my message went along the lines of, "ALL MY FRIENDS ARE GOING TO BE THERE AND IF I DON'T GO, I WILL BE SO SAAAAAD."  I probably wrote in caps, I was so desperate.  

Unfortunately, with the types of races that I am interested in doing, I can no longer be so higgledy-piggledy .  Now I set up reminder emails and calendar notifications to make sure that I am at my computer when on-line registration starts.  For instance, Umstead 100 sold in minutes.  Minutes.  Can you imagine - hundreds of people, sitting anxiously at their computers just because they want to have the opportunity to run a hundred miles in some random North Carolinian state park?  I always use Umstead as an example when I try to explain to people how popular ultrarunning has become.  Vermont 100 sold out in less than a couple of days; it was only because I declared myself a Grand Slammer that I was given a provisional entry.

Some of the races are so popular that they need to involve a lottery system.  Leatherman's Loop 10K, Western States, and Wasatch all have lotteries that people wait anxiously for.  As it happened, I just signed up and completely forgot about each and every one.  Apparently this seems to be my lucky method of winning these lotteries, but now that I know this, I can't do this anymore because how does one remember to forget?  Western States' lottery even involved a live web broadcast, which is how my friends found out I got in before I did.  

Anyway, back to my race schedule!  I am really excited about each and every race, for different reasons:

Valentine's Day 5K: My first official race with Rob!

Febapple 50K: So many cool people are going to be there!  Including my friend Robin, who is practically my race twin this year since I will be seeing her at the NJ Ultra Festival, Umstead, Three Days at the Fair, and Vermont 100.

Zombie Apocalypse Training: Okay, this isn't a race, but helloooo, I get to learn cool post-apocalyptic survival skills, such as hotwiring a car and using a crossbow.  Thanks Cheryl for setting this up!

Umstead 100: Although I ran Umstead last year, this will be my sorority little sister's first ever 100.  I am absolutely stoked that the two of us are now ultrarunners, considering we completely hated running in college.  Also, this is my dear friend (and one of my running inspirations) Kino's third attempt at Umstead and I am confident that his third time will be a charm.  He has already run other, more difficult 100s, this race just happens to be his bugbear.

Leatherman's Loop: Yes, it's just a 10K, but it's a 10K with lots of mud and water crossings.  

Bear Mountain 50 Miler: It's a gnarly trail race with a generous time cut off.

Brooklyn Half Marathon: My brother and I are going to run this together.  I already have ideas for matching tshirts . . . hopefully they will be better than the not-so-running-friendly cotton tshirts I made for our last marathon together.  Also, this will be my first official half-marathon!

Mayapple 50K: My last real run to stretch my legs for hours before Western States.

Western States 100, Vermont 100, Leadville 100, and Wasatch 100 (a.k.a. The Grand Slam of Ultrarunning): No need to explain why I am excited for these races.  

Stone Mill 50: For $35, I get to run a 50+ mile race?  Awesome!

If you have been paying attention, I have no races scheduled for October and December.  Apparently everyone is getting married in October.  Yay for Mike and Jill and Elizabeth and Matt (Oh, and Rob's friend in Chicago)!  And December, I am just going to do absolutely NOTHING, except maybe plan for 2014.  

So, that's it.  My first-ever, race schedule planned out in advance.  I can't wait!



No comments:

Post a Comment